The most obvious reason is genetics. A family history of heart problems or cardiovascular problems can make liver unable to produce sufficient HDL. Also, drugs like steroids, smoking, excessive alcohol, little or no exercise, excessive intake of PUFA oils from corn, sunflower, safflower and wrong food habits also have the ability to lower HDL levels.
How to Reduce Cholesterol Naturally Home Remedies
Cholesterol can be treated and managed by simple age-old home remedies, which offer effective results without any unwanted side effects. So here are some natural how to reduce cholesterol naturally home remedies.
Don’t let the size of these little seeds fool you. Coriander seeds are loaded with numerous health benefits, especially when it comes to managing high cholesterol levels. Coriander seeds are known to have hypoglycemic effects on the body and can be an effective treatment for diabetes, which is a common factor leading to high cholesterol.
How to consume:
- Add 2 teaspoons of coriander powder to 1 glass of water
- Boil the mixture on a low flame for 2-3 minutes
- Strain and drink on an empty stomach
- Consume twice a day (morning & night)
Apart from being loaded with vitamin C, this citrus fruit is also rich in flavonoids, potassium and phytosterols which keep high blood pressure levels in check and has a direct effect on lowering cholesterol levels.
How to consume:
- Squeeze 1 orange to extract its juice
- Strain or add into a glass
- Drink 2-3 times daily
Drinking 2-3 glasses of fresh orange juice daily can help lower blood cholesterol levels by boosting HDL and decreasing LDL naturally.
Onions are known to elevate good cholesterol levels as they are high in polyphenolic compounds known as flavonoids. These flavonoids help reduce LDL and also keep us safe from heart disease.
How to consume:
- Grate 1 onion to extract the juice
- Consume 1 tablespoon twice a day
Onions are especially a good food option for individuals who are obese, as they minimize the risk of suffering from cardiovascular disease, which is common among obese individuals.
How to Raise HDL Cholesterol
Also, making some simple changes to your lifestyle and diet can greatly improve HDL levels in most people. Here are some of the ways on how to reduce cholesterol naturally and raise HDL levels:
- Add soluble fibre to your diet. Soluble fibre present in oats, fruits, vegetables and legumes reduce LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol. Minimum two servings a day is recommended.
- Minimize usage of foods containing saturated fat and trans fat like cakes, pies, crackers and cookies and biscuits which increase LDL and decrease HDL cholesterol.
- Eat Heart Friendly fats: Omega -3 fatty acids found in flaxseed, walnuts, soy foods, fatty fish like salmon and sardines and are the best options for the healthy heart.
- One of the best ways to boost good cholesterol is by regular exercise and weight training. If you do not have time to join a gym you may choose to walk anytime of the day to improve HDL level.
- Obesity lowers the good cholesterol levels. If you are overweight, losing weight helps to increase HDL, lower LDL, total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Giving up tobacco causes increase in HDL levels and general health.
- Red wine in moderation increases HDL level. However, if you are diabetic or insulin resistant it may not be a good suggestion for you.